Manuel Guilbault's Blog

Multiple Aurelia apps in a single ASP.NET Core application

I’ve been recently working on an ASP.NET Core MVC application for a tour operator company. The application follows the standard MVC navigation principles:

  1. You search for flights between two cities, for a specific time period;
  2. You see a grid with the flights matching the criteria, displaying all sorts of yielding information (sold seats, capacity, pricing parameters, etc.);
  3. You click on a single flight to go to its edition page;
  4. You edit the flight’s capacity and pricing parameters, save, and go back to the result grid.

The customers asked if we could redesign this workflow so they could edit the pricing parameters directly in the grid. To support this demand, the grid being a simple table element rendered using a Razor template, we decided to transform it into a small Aurelia application which would render the grid and handle inline edition.

As the customer also mentionned they would like to have some other workflows redesigned as such in the future, we figured we would end up with multiple Aurelia apps in our .NET project. As such, we wanted modified the default setup of an ASP .NET Core Aurelia app to support multiple client apps.

We needed to fiddle a bit here and there, but we ended up being able to do it pretty easily. Here’s a recap of how we did it.

Setting up the project & the environment

To follow this example, you’ll need to create a .NET Core Aurelia web app:

  1. Install the .NET Core CLI
  2. Install the ASP.NET Spa Templates: dotnet new --install "Microsoft.AspNetCore.SpaTemplates::*"
  3. Create a new folder for your project: mkdir dotnet-core-multiple-aurelia-apps
  4. Move into it: cd dotnet-core-multiple-aurelia-apps
  5. Create your ASP.NET Core Aurelia project: dotnet new aurelia

Of course, since Aurelia is involved, you’ll also need to have NodeJS installed.

Transforming a single Aurelia app project into a multiple one

Once you got your ASP.NET Core project ready, you can start transforming it into a multiple Aurelia apps project. Quickly:

  1. rename the ClientApp directory to ClientApps;
  2. create ClientApps/app1, where app1 is the name of your first Aurelia app;
  3. move everything from ClientApps inside ClientApps/app1.

Next, in webpack.config.js:

  1. replace every occurences of ClientApp with ClientApps;
  2. change the file so it returns one configuration object per Aurelia app instead of a single one;
  3. for each app’s configuration object:
    • change the entry point’s name from 'app' to the app’s name;
    • change how it resolves its modules, not from ClientApps anymore, but from the app directory inside ClientApps.

The updated webpack.config.js should look like this:

const path = require('path');
const webpack = require('webpack');
const { AureliaPlugin } = require('aurelia-webpack-plugin');
const bundleOutputDir = './wwwroot/dist';

module.exports = (env) => {
    const isDevBuild = !(env &&;
    return [
        // Add any other Aurelia app here
    ].map(appName => ({
        stats: { modules: false },
        entry: { [appName]: 'aurelia-bootstrapper' },
        resolve: {
            extensions: ['.ts', '.js'],
            modules: [`ClientApps/${appName}`, 'node_modules'],
        output: {
            path: path.resolve(bundleOutputDir),
            publicPath: '/dist/',
            filename: '[name].js'
        module: {
            rules: [
                { test: /\.ts$/i, include: /ClientApps/, use: 'ts-loader?silent=true' },
                { test: /\.html$/i, use: 'html-loader' },
                { test: /\.css$/i, use: isDevBuild ? 'css-loader' : 'css-loader?minimize' },
                { test: /\.(png|jpg|jpeg|gif|svg)$/, use: 'url-loader?limit=25000' }
        plugins: [
            new webpack.DefinePlugin({ IS_DEV_BUILD: JSON.stringify(isDevBuild) }),
            new webpack.DllReferencePlugin({
                context: __dirname,
                manifest: require('./wwwroot/dist/vendor-manifest.json')
            new AureliaPlugin({ aureliaApp: 'boot' })
        ].concat(isDevBuild ? [
            new webpack.SourceMapDevToolPlugin({
                filename: '[file].map', // Remove this line if you prefer inline source maps
                moduleFilenameTemplate: path.relative(bundleOutputDir, '[resourcePath]')  // Point sourcemap entries to the original file locations on disk
        ] : [
            new webpack.optimize.UglifyJsPlugin()

This configuration will now generate one bundle for each application. For exemple, the app1 application will be bundled in the wwwroot/dist/app1.js file.

Lastly, load the proper bundles and bootstrap your Aurelia app in the proper Razor view:

<div aurelia-app="boot">Loading...</div>

@section scripts {
  <script type="text/javascript" src="~/dist/vendor.js" asp-append-version="true"></script>
  <script type="text/javascript" src="~/dist/app1.js" asp-append-version="true"></script>

Before you run the application, make sure to generate the vendor bundle by running webpack --config webpack.config.vendor.js.

Check this GitHub repository for a code sample.

#Aurelia #JS #Web #.NET


comments powered by Disqus